Welcome to your ‘On the Wing’ Support Page. Below you’ll find brief notes from our ‘On the Wing’ calls including any useful links. If you have a call that takes more time and requires a recharge, you will see the recharge button here at the top of the page.
Account Recharge Required for 20/12/13
Support provided over the course of 19 & 20/12/2013 involved longer calls.
Sue can you hit the recharge button please for £37.50 + VAT (£45 )?
19 & 20/08/2013 – Recharge incurred
Issue addressed – migration of data from Macbook to Macbook Air:
- Talked through migration of data to the new Macbook Air as this is best handled using the Utility Application Migration Assistant in order to keep related files stored in different places on the source machine properly linked on the target machine.
- On Thursday 19th migration via Wifi stumbled so we moved to a belt AND braces solution: cloning the Macbook to the new WD My Passport Studio using Carbon Copy Cloner and then using Migration Assistant to migrate the data from the clone version on the Firewire 800 Hard Disk connected to the Macbook Air via the Firewire 800 cable and Thunderbolt Firewire adaptor.
- This leaves resolution of bringing across old email accounts on the Macbook Air and transitioning some of them from POP to IMAP accounts. We will need to bring the current POP email folders across to the Macbook Air as imported Archive Mailboxes as the messages will no longer exist on the email server – POP will have stripped them. Once the archives are in place, the accounts can be set up as IMAP for mail going forward. If required the archived messages can also be copied into the new IMAP Inbox and Sent folders to make them available via the server on all devices.
- As we formatted the External WD My Passport Studio as two equal volumes, it can work for both incremental cloning and also for TimeMachine backups of the Macbook Air. [We now have both automated backup and disaster recovery solution eggs in one basket. Time to look at a remote storage second line of defence.]
- Finally we also need to resolve stripping out Microsoft Office on the Macbook Air if this remains a priority. I’m not convinced that it’s a necessity, but there is much guidance on the subject.
26/2/2013 – FREE
Further teasing out of how to send invitations to a group via email from within FaceBook – automation of the invitation to a closed group. Response from Annabelle via email redirected.
22/2/2013 – FREE
Question about Open, Closed and Secret Groups on FaceBook. Sent links to FaceBook Help pages on Groups via email.